There is only one nominee that, if she wins will piss me off. She never should have been nominated.
- Jessica Chastain – Zero Dark Thirty
- A top notch performance balancing humanity with the cold necessity of a tough job. Despite the alleged promotion of torture, this film was anything but, and thanks in create part to Chastain's masterful performance. One damned good actress. Comparing this to the next performance is apples and oranges, but such is the result of the academy not going with the two type model of the Golden Globes.
- Jennifer Lawrence – Silver Linings Playbook
- Having said that about the Golden Globe model, this movie is a comedy? Well it has some damned funny parts but delivers a serious message through the medium. Jennifer Lawrence is my pick for best actress because of her sensitive portrayal of a pretty insensitive character. She brings to life this year's most interesting and multi-layered character. Flat out brilliant.
- Emmanuelle Riva – Amour
- Wonderful acting of an old woman by well an old woman. The flat affect of this film conveys the tough side of real love. She was wonderful and kept a lot more interested in this movie than I should have been.
- Quvenzhané Wallis – Beasts of the Southern Wild
- Seriously? She's 6, or was when the film was made. Besides the fact that I did not care for the movie for many reasons, I will grant that she was charming and she's a natural. Let's not forget that Shirley Temple was given an honorary Oscar because she made so many movies and thereby so much money for Hollywood. Wallis may have a future. I'll wait. Her nomination was no more than a gimmick. "Look we'v got the oldest actress and the youngest actress in one year!" Really? So spot for Judi Densch in Hithcock went to her? Really?
- Naomi Watts – The Impossible
- Wish I could say I saved the best for last, but she's not going to win. She was wonderful was everyone in the family. In her case she certainly got the Oscar for the make-up crew, but it was not a role that called for a lot of range.
Should Win: Jennifer Lawrence
Will Win: Jennifer Lawrence