- Michael Haneke – Amour
- Wonderful performances, but
watching this movie was like watching grass grow. It made Stanley
Kubrick look hasty. Attention to detail is one thing, but obsession is
another. Potentially great story, but excruciating.
- Ang Lee – Life of Pi
- Just how much directing goes into CGI?
- David O. Russell – Silver Linings Playbook
- Loved the movie from beginning
to end. A director that can emotionally engage me without making me feel
manipulated gets my vote.
- Steven Spielberg – Lincoln
- Beautifully executed but a
trite scene with his "negro" fans I thought was just too, too ...
Spielberg. I also agree with some friends who think the 2nd inaugural
should have been in Chronological context. I still think it deserved
the nod. Despite my nit-picking it was a great film. Much better than
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire slayer. One filmed showed the capitol dome
under construction the other complete. More on my new-found dome
- Benh Zeitlin – Beasts of the Southern Wild
- After a wonderful explanation
of the intricacies of this film I don't hate it anymore. But not hating a
film does not a best director make for me. It was disturbing for me
and not in a challenging way at the time of viewing. At least Amour led
me to examine the film on the drive home. This film left me angry and
Should win: David O. Russell
Will win: Steven Spielberg