Monday, February 11, 2013

It Gets Better? Not for This Teacher's Students.

I was speechless when I watched this video.  I would recommend that you watch it before you read my comments, below.

Looks innocent enough, right?

The good news, 87% of the viewers were furious when I checked the barometer on the web page.  I can only hope that those are local people, I fear that many are visitor from blogs like mine.

The bad news was the framing.  Even the opposing Christians quoted were equivocating.

The disgusting news is that this woman is employed in a public school.  Hopefully that will change.  If you did not watch the video here's what is disturbing from the accompanying text summary:
Diana Medley is a special education teacher in town. She doesn't believe anyone is born gay. 
"I believe that it was life circumstances and they chose to be that way; God created everyone equal," said Medley. 
"Homosexual students come to me with their problems, and I don't agree with them, but I care about them. It's the same thing with my special needs kids, I think God puts everyone in our lives for a reason," said Madley. 
"'So the same goes for gays? Do you think they have a purpose in life?' No I honestly don't. (emphasis mine) Sorry, but I don't. I don't understand it. A gay person isn't going to come up and make some change unless it's to realize that it was a choice and they're choosing God," said Medley.
Got that? I public educator felt perfectly comfy going on TV and telling LGBT students their life has no purpose. Before that she says that "homosexual" students come to her for advice. It is not to strong to say that she might have just handed borderline suicidal teen a rope or a loaded gun.  Should this teacher be fired?  No.  She should be arrested and tried for endangering the lives of children.

To my educator friends:  If you are thinking we have come far enough, this should show you how far we have to go.  This has to be talked about.  It should be shown at every faculty meeting.

To be Progressive Christian friends: It is is not enough to shake your head and say, thank God that is not my congregation.  If you are clergy you need to preach about this from the altar. You need to say, "If any of you think that Jesus wants anyone to be told they have no purpose in life, you don't know Jesus. Jesus wants you to go to your school board and say I AM A CHRISTIAN AND THIS CANNOT HAPPEN IN OUR SCHOOLS."





No comments:

Post a Comment