Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day 2010

Iris Bloom Report 05/31/10

Much is waning and the "Honky-Tonk Blues" is in full profusion. On this Memorial Day Weekend the little league park was hopping on Sunday afternoon when I stopped by after church. Kyle and I were house-sitting for David and Dahn. I was the leader of morning prayer in the absence of a clergy leader at St. John's. As is too often the case to be coincidence, the reading appointed was one to which I had a special connection. I shared:

I was in Boston for a conference several years ago and the principal speaker was Massachusetts State Assemblyman, General Convention Deputy Byron Rushing. He was speaking about how to respond to those who like to “proof-text,” that is to say make a point with an isolated passage form scripture out of any context.

“Simply say to them ‘John 16:12,” he said, “Then walk away. Since they are probably not Episcopalians, they won’t have to open their Bibles.” But for the sake of those of us who are he read: Jesus said to the disciples, ‘I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now.’"

Since then, this passage has become part of the signature line on my e-mail. It certainly is the underpinning of the UCC campaign, “God is still speaking.”

“I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now."

Now, whenever anyone speaks to you in absolutes about what the Bible says you too can respond, “John 16:12.”






No comments:

Post a Comment