Thursday, August 6, 2009

When the Ents March


In what I believe to be a commentary on LGBT activism in General and the March for Equality in Washington on Oct 11 specifically, I steal a post from my dear friend and fellow Tolkienista, Chap James Day:

One of my favorite parts of the Lord of the Rings, is when the Ents, a peaceful ancient race of tree shepherds that resemble trees, upon noticing the destruction of the forest by the White Wizard Saruman, march to war against his tower at Isengard. Normally the Ents would leave the wars of man and elf alone. The image is moving, and speaks to the injustices of the world, and to those who would rather not get involved because they do not see how it directly effects them. It is not until they are themselves hurt, that reaction is warranted.

I feel also called to think about the march itself. I am not one who would every consider war, and I usually take a lot of hitting before I bite, to use an archaic image of a dog with mean master. Yet, now I feel as if I may be marching. To war? I hope not. To justice, maybe a bit presumptuous to assume I could ever bring justice. Still I am marching out of what I feel is indignant acts, in protest, and in assertion of my rights.

Now is the time when the Ents march, and I wonder if you yourself are considering the journey, and who makes up your fellowship.


This Ent is pulling up roots!

No comments:

Post a Comment