Tuesday, June 21, 2011

In Albany Monday 4#ssm

In Albany Monday for Marriage Equality

Bryan Bedell+, Kit Tobin+ and the belly of yours truly were in the background video on CNN yesterday. They were interviewing Senator Ball, a key swing vote. It was a pretty lousy interview.


The best guess from those of outside is Republican Conference is that they want to spend as much time wrangling so they can say they did all they could to protect the religious opposition. I am a bit loathe to jinx anything, but when the NY Post says it's a done deal, (The Fox News of "news"papers) it's a good sign that we will see marriage in NY this week.

The halls of the capitol were hot, physically and emotionally. It was hard not to sing along with some favorite hymns and songs of the Christian opposition. I just gave in because they are my songs too. "We shall not be moved," was really the message of the day. The shout downs seemed a waste.

One gentleman approached me wear my Episcopal Diocese of Rochester polo to tell me that the Bible was very clear... I said, "John 16:12"

Can you quote that for me. Fighting the urge to say, "You don't know?" I said, "“I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth."

"You mean you believe that in dynamic scripture?"


"Yes I said, what a great way to put it!" He wandered off obviously not believing that "God is still speaking."

Today it has been reported that the Republican Caucus has come up with more protection to add so that those who object on religious grounds will not be forced to have to do business with a "gay wedding." I would be glad for whatever language they want to be included. "No straight florist shall be required to decorate for a gay wedding." Like any Lesbians or gay men would hire a straight florist. It would be challenged in court and declared illegal soon enough. The opposition know that. No language will be acceptable to them.

Thanks to Bryan for driving... wish he had told me his A/C wasn't working though. I would have made Kyle go car-less!

Keep praying and calling the senators that are on the fence.

No comments:

Post a Comment