Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Best Picture? SLP

After seeing the nominations for the Gold Globes I was one of those who said "Silver Playing" what?  Well, It's Silver Ling Playbook and I thought I missed it.  But it is playing again this week.  Kyle, Don and I went this afternoon. With little information and few expectations it promised to be a romantic comedy.  And it was.  But the best I can ever remember seeing.  One of the best films I have seen for that matter.


Here's the plot from IMDB:
After a stint in a mental institution, former teacher Pat Solitano moves back in with his parents and tries to reconcile with his ex-wife. Things get more challenging when Pat meets Tiffany, a mysterious girl with problems of her own 
When it comes to film I am not a critic.  Like wine, I know nothing more than ... I know what I like.

And this I liked.  This I loved.

Bradley Cooper, never hard on the eyes and Jennifer Lawrence, that Hunger Games girl, are Pat and Tiffany.  Both brilliant and both nominated for Golden Globe Best Actor/Actress in a Musical or Comedy.  If they both won I would not be disappointed.  The awarding type people like quirky or grandiose  or pointless (AKA "The Master"), so just to be nominated just goes to show how outstanding the performance are.  And really there is nothing pointless or really quirky and certainly not grandiose in this film.  It is intimate, sweet and well written and acted from beginning to end.

Lawernce, at 21 holds her own with Robert De Niro. Jacki Weaver is the oh-so-ordinary mother, rarely so masterfully presented on film.  If excellent acting for you is when completely forget they are acting, then this film is for you.

This movie kept me engaged emotionally for every minute of two hours.  I was either smiling, laughing out loud, worried or teary, mostly smiling for every minute of this Cinderella story that was not at all a fairy tale.

See this movie. Quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment