Thursday, February 23, 2012

I Don't Appear to Reside In Oklahoma

As reported in the Huffington Post a congressman from Oklahoma has feels it appropriate for a member of the Congress of the United States of America to use this kind of language...

Rep. John Sullivan (R-Okla.) told a town hall audience on Wednesday that "maybe killing a couple of" senators would help Rep. Paul Ryan's budget pass. 
"I supported the Paul Ryan budget and sent it over to the Senate," Sullivan said. "Now I live with some Senators, I yell at them all the time, I grabbed one of them the other day and shook him and I’d love to get them to vote for it -- boy I’d love that. You know but other than me going over there with a gun and holding it to their head and maybe killing a couple of them, I don’t think they’re going to listen unless they get beat."
 read the rest... including the Congressman's apology
It is no wonder that public faith in congress has plummeted. The last approval rating I saw was 10%.  How does language like this possible lead to civil discourse?

I went to Congressman Sullivan's website to leave the following comment:

Dear Congressman Sullivan,
I read that you have said that you feel that Congressman Ryan's budget will not be passed in the Senate short of you "going over there with a gun and holding it to their head and maybe killing a couple of them." I respect your right to hold positions, however I might agree or disagree with them.  I do not however respect your use of such language publicly.
I pray that the congress of the United States of America might examine the reasons why it's popularity is currently so dismally low.  I pray that the civil discourse, so needed to be restored in this country, might be modeled by its elected officials.
Suspecting that you would identify yourself as a Christian and a patriot, I would ask how this type language, even if meant metaphorically, represents the values of either of these groups? 
Respectfully,
Neil HoughtonMendon, NY

When I went to Congressman Sullivan's website  and entering my zip code I was told....


"Sorry, You do not appear to reside in Oklahoma."  I was aware of this but thought the communications with a members of The People's House should be welcomed from any American citizen.

If any of you happen to reside in Oklahoma, please pass on my thoughts.


No comments:

Post a Comment